"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Monday, March 21, 2011

A "New" Used Desk



I found this desk on Craigslist, and bought it for $10.


Wow, it really took me back to my elementary school days.
I could hear the teacher telling us at the end of the day, "Line your desks up with the pine wood floor boards, and don't forget to put your chairs up on your desk before you leave."

My son Harrison wanted to keep it.  He wanted me to do the same painting I did on a desk I sold at my Open House Craft Sale that I hold every November.

He reminds me of myself in many ways.  
He loves to draw and doodle. He loves to create.  He loves to paint too.
 Yes, he is a crafty one.  I mean that in a good way.
So he helped me sand the desk.


We sanded it enough so the paint would grab.
We had to go over the inside by hand.


I then began to paint the bottom part black.


For the top I used a pecan color.
He picked these anchors for me to stencil.  He also chose the location for each anchor.


I am not a very colorful person.  I seem to love these colors:)

I lightly sanded the edges to give it that primitive look I love.  I then stained it with a walnut colored stain; left it dry and put two coats of polyurethane on it.

End result:

A happy boy:)


9 comments:

  1. Fun! I really like it! Question did you use a spray paint, or brush? If you brushed it on, was it semi gloss or satin? Did you use a Poly to coat it? technicalities!! :) thanks!
    -Brittany at lifeyasadiywifey.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mrs. Brittany, good questions. I used a brush and semi gloss. I only used polyurethane on the top part and where he stores his books. I used min-wax stain before putting on the polyurethane. Hope that helps! Thanks for the comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks great!! Now Harrison has his desk. :) Can't wait to see it close-up tomorrow. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dawn lucky you :) Harrison looks quite happy with his new desk.
    Good job H&T

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi! Thank you for following my blog! I am returning the favor. If you’re ever interested in a blog makeover please let me know. Take a look at my portfolio and packages when you get a chance. Have a Sweet Week!

    A Mommy’s Sweet Blog Design
    Free Blog Tutorials, Buttons, & Templates

    Review and Giveaway Blog Directory
    If you feature Reviews and Giveaways come add your blog here!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow nice one...Happy Thrifty Thursday. I followed you already hope you follow back. Also i want to invite you to my first giveaway.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great desk! I'm so interested in stuff like this. Seems so easy, but I am challenged by it. I found you at Thrifty Thursday. I hope you'll follow me back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great work! I love that you let your son help too. I like the distressed quality to it. :)

    Thank you so much for joining my Weekend Bloggy Reading party. :) Have fun finding a new blog friend or two, and I hope you'll visit me at Serenity Now again soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love this redo and love that you had your son help.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...