"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Monday, June 13, 2011

Vanity and Seat Makeover

I found this vanity and vanity seat at a yard sale last summer.


I bought it for a whole 50 cents!

My daughter was in love with it.  It really doesn't take much for her to get happy about something.
She seems to be thankful for everything given to her no matter what.

These are the last pieces of furniture that I wanted to redo for her and her new "girly" room.

First, I took apart the seat.
We wanted to recover it with purple material to match her bedroom.


Next, I sanded them down with a sander.
I kindly told my hubby that the 3 hours of sanding could have been avoided if I had Annie Sloan's Paint.
As I was distressing them with sand paper, he basically implied that because of the strength of Annie Sloan's Paint I would not be able to distress my furniture.
He can be so rotten sometimes.

Bessy helped sand.


Here is what they looked like after sanding them:


Then I painted them white with some Kitchen and Bath paint we had.
I distressed them before staining them with Walnut colored Minwax stain.
Here is the "desk" painted and stained.


I love how the stain brings out the details in the legs!
It is not an old piece of furniture, but it has character.

To recover the seat I used a hammer and some tacks.

For the seat cushion I laid the seat on some batting to measure and cut.

Then I stretched some quilt batting directly over the cushion.
I pulled and tacked the sides first and then the corners like this:


Here is the front of the seat with just batting:


Finally, I stretched and tacked the fabric over the batting.

Sides first:


Then the corners:

To do the corners pull the middle up first--tack it.

Then fold those sides in and tack so it looks like this:


She just loves how it turned out.
I am so glad she does too.
I really like the white and stain.


Here is the before and after.
What do you think?










Tip Junkie handmade projects







BWS tips button

19 comments:

  1. What a transformation. Love it. Have never been able to purchase an item for 50 cents. You are sure lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an amazing find and transformation:)!!! Beautiful!
    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like to watch you work on your projects. I'm glad I don't make you nervous when I do. :) I'm proud of the work you do!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks great! You do such a good job :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. 50 cents you have to be kidding! I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks awesome! What a GREAT transformation!!!

    PS - Following you back :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful transformation!!!!!

    Love that your daughter is learning to appreciate a good 'thrifty makeover'

    ;->

    janet xox
    http://theemptynest-janet.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sandi @ Making It Homey said... It's beautiful, what a lucky daughter to get such a great piece in her room. Thanks for stopping by my blog and becoming a follower as I will with you. Thanks Again

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are so lovely!!! You did a wonderful job...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hey Tammy! Thanks for commenting on my blog. I am impressed with your 50 cent find....I never find anything for that great a deal. The minwax stain really makes the table pop. Love it!
    Lori @ woolflaxandbeeswax.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Tammy! Thanks so much for stopping by The Blackberry Vine and commenting on the Indiana Jones Invites! Your furniture transformation was jaw dropping! $.50? Really?!?! Wow!
    Smiles!
    Jami

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you so much for your post, my Newest Follower! This transformation is AWESOME!! I want to try the staining on my next piece of furniture. I returned the favor, and am now your newest follower!

    www.zachandashleyjones.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oooo, LOVE it!!! And of course, I adore the purple you used!! :) By the way, I distress my chalk paint and it works GREAT (and easy). But maybe I should mind my business (Just check out my newest blog entry tonight. :) )

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, that looks wonderful! I love it! Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That looks beautiful! Wow only fifty cents! What a great deal!
    I saw that you homeschool your children. We just graduated our last, (of two), after 15 years of homeschooling.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you for your comment, you are very sweet! You may like my bed, but I can't believe what a deal you got on this! Amazing! It turned out great. :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love it!! It came out gorgeous!! Thank you for visiting me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...