"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Thursday, July 21, 2011

Look What Showed Up On My Porch

The other day I opened my front door and found this setting in front of it.

A friend had dropped this desk off when she found out that I painted furniture.
I think it has some great character.


I wasn't really liking the spool thingy on the desk.
I know that to some of you that may be neat, but it wasn't working for me.

When I pulled it off the desk it left many holes to be filled where the dowels were.
This was my solution to fill the holes.
I got my hubby's handy little coping saw.


Okay, try not to focus on my fancy clothes and well groomed toes.

I then filled the holes with some wood glue and hammered the little part of the wood dowel into each hole.


Here is a pic of the desk sanded  with the holes filled.


I wanted to stain the top and paint the bottom white.
I used Early American Stain on the top.
I also distressed it after I painted it white and stained it with Walnut colored stain.

My hubby added a little ledge so that a book or writing utensil could set on the desk.


I love the way it turned out!
Not sure if I will keep it or sell it at my crafts sale in the Fall.

I love the detail that the stain brings out.


Here is the Before:



And here is the After:


Thanks for visiting!

Linking up with:


Transformation Thursday



Furniture Feature Fridays



















Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special




Keeping It Simple































Tip Junkie handmade projects

Photobucket

31 comments:

  1. It is gorgeous! I love that you didn't paint the top and stained it instead. It is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT JOB IT LOOKS BEAUTIFUL. LOVE THE COLOR AND DISTRESSING..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great way of filling in those holes so they were still stainable! It turned out great and does have some wonderful character. Deb

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks fabulous! I linked up a similarly finished vanity to MMS this week and noticed your desk.
    Kristy @ 4 the love of WOOD

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! That is very impressive it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy, I think you did an outstanding job on this! What a great idea to cut off the spools and add the ledge! Thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! glad you didn't saw off any fingers in that project. lol Love the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a front porch, but no one has left anything that cool on it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy, this is a gorgeous desk! I love that you stained and distressed it - it looks FAB!!

    Thanks for visiting my blog -- I am YOUR newest follower. Looking forward to reading all your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nick said that's cool, nice! :) I say, "Your good, Tammy!!" I really like your creativity.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great job! I love it. Is it a full size desk or a child's desk?

    Benita

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW!! That's fantastic!! What a great idea to fill the holes!! Smart! I would have wasted so much wood filler! :S It really turned out nice! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. your so smart !! I know it will sell but it looks like a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This looks beautiful, Tammy!

    Thanks for stopping by and leaving such sweet comments!

    Sue
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Isn't it nice to be the kind of person that people think of? Your sweet friend will be VERY impressed to see the finished product! Great job! jules

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great transformation. Thanks for visiting my blog. I am your newest follower.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a transformation! Looks great, I would have taken the spool thingy off too :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Wow, you did a really nice job with the makeover. I love new look!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Taking off htat railing was DEFINITELY a good thing! And I totally love the two toned look! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Amazing! I love this!! I'm still working on painting my daughter's furniture. Really need to finish that project!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your patience paid off as that desk is just charming. I know it will sell really fast! But I would keep it:) No...that's not poison ivy...that has leaves of three. It's called Virginia Creeper and turns a pretty red in the Fall. My DH has a hard time remembering the difference because we do have lots of pi too. Hope you are having a fabulous week.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the new look. Thanks for joining WUW.

    ReplyDelete
  23. WOW< beautiful. Yea, I agree about the spools. It looks SO much better without em'. I'm a new follower : )
    ~ Deanna

    ReplyDelete
  24. Just gorgeous now! I too didn't like the "little fence" on top! Love it now! Visiting from Savvy Southern Style!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. WOW!!! That came out so Amazing! I love love love the dark stain on top and how the distressed white goes with it. Great job.
    Thanks for sharing, I am inspired :)
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...