I don't know if you remember these little fellas or not.
This was the only project that I was able to work on while my kiddos were at camp.
You might say that getting these finished is a huge accomplishment.
It is, but I had so many other projects that I wanted to work on.
There just was not enough time.
In fact, I get more done when my kiddos are home--weird huh?
It is a little hard to see it on these photos, but these desks have layers and layers of varnish and stain on them.
It looked like a crackle effect.
The color was an ugly burgundy stain.
Needless to say, I did not like it.
I thought about painting one and refinishing the other, but my thought was that these would make cute end tables. However not in my house--my rooms are too small.
I wanted them to blend with each other.
They are not very valuable. The legs have the year 1912 and 1913 on them. I looked on ebay and it seems that everyone wants to sell these desks for $90-$125, but there were no bids.
So I wanted to add writing or something to them.
First, I tried to sand them down, but it was impossible to get those layers down.
I ran to the hardware store and bought some stripper.
It worked beautifully.
Always wear protective gloves when using this stuff. It will burn your skin.
I applied the stripper with a brush going in one direction only--not back and forth.
Follow the directions on the can.
After waiting 20-25 minutes, I used a scraper. It came off so easily.
I then sanded it again after wiping the wood down with mineral spirits.
I was wanting to do some lettering on them.
I didn't know what would go well with an old school desk.
Dan thought, "Public School No. 2"
Now that I write it, maybe that would have been pretty cool.
Well, I guess it is because it is near the 4th of July; I went Patriotic.
I went into Word on my computer and checked out some fonts.
The one I chose was Viner Hand ITC. It looked like it just fit the Revolutionary War period.
I printed the lettering off and took my son's medium charcoal pencil and colored on the back of the letters.
Then I taped it to my sanded-down desk.
Making sure it was centered the way I wanted it.
I then trace around the lettering.
This is what it looked like after I trace it.
As you can see, I didn't worry about sanding it down to just plain wood.
I knew that this would add character to the desks once they were stained.
I then painted the letters in with black paint.
It was such a beautiful day--gorgeous day. There was no humidity.
I would have to say that it was the most enjoyable time--painting outside.
Hubby was reading on the wicker seat while I painted.
Gotta love those precious moments:)
After I let the black paint dry, I sanded down the lettering so that you could see some wood through the lettering.
I love the way it gave it a worn look.
This picture was taken after I stained it too.
I used Early American Minwax Stain.
Here they are!!!
I love them!!
I wish they would fit in my house as end tables.
Here is the before:
Linking up With: