"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Work is a Blessing

I feel absolutely blessed.  
Ever since I have made it known to people that I refinish furniture and junk; I have been blessed with many projects.
Yes, I am saying that work is a blessing.
I hold a craft sale in my house every year around Thanksgiving.  
So most of my things that I have done are for the purpose of resale.
Thanks to all who have been a blessing in this area to me.

My mom gave me this shelf.  It looks like it was part of a mantle.
my first thought was to build a mantle--my boys want a fireplace mantle in my house, but our house is way too small for such a thing.  

I decided to build it into a shelf.


This is part of Bessy girl's old bed.  I was saving it since May for a reason, and now I found the reason:)
That middle piece will make a great backboard for my shelf.


"Okay, come on boys, let's demo it into pieces--Carefully, I want to use as much as I can:)"


Oh look at the treasures!


Miles helped mark the line for me to cut the shelf.


He also helped nail it with the nail gun, but that attempt went wrong; as the nails were way too long, and we nailed it to the work bench.
So I tore it apart and got the old hammer, brads, and wood glue out to attach the back.


I stained the top with Minwax's Early American stain.


I painted the rest with Annie Sloans Paris Grey first for a good base coat and then Old white.
The backboard was shiny, so I needed to use the ASCP.

Then I went to the Graphics Fairy to get an image for my shelf.
I picked out a Gothic Door and mirrored the image in Word.
I just wanted to use part of the scroll and flowers, so I enlarge the area in Word.
I colored on the back of the paper with a charcoal pencil and place it on the shelf where I wanted it.


Here is a pic of that step.
I then started to trace over my image on the paper with a pen.
I had printed the image in a lighter setting, so that it made it easier to see where I needed to trace.


On the left is the traced paper.
On the right is the charcoal transferred image.


I then took the best investment of my life my sharpie paint marker and filled it in on the wood.
That marker makes this process so easy!


I repeated this process with the verse I wanted to put on my shelf.



After it was dried I waxed my shelf with Fiddes & Sons clear wax first, and then I distressed it with the darker Jacobean wax.
I LOVE it!!!!




You can't even tell it was part of her bed:)

Linking up with:


Photobucket




























Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special













Designer Garden


Furniture Feature Fridays

24 comments:

  1. You did a beautiful job! Wish I could come to your sale!! Lesa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your incredible talent shows through on every piece! Wonderful job!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The shelf turned out great, and it looks like you have some leftovers for another project. So nice to have a hand too, with the manly stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You made something beautiful from very little and taught your children valuable life lessons in the process. It doesn't get any better than that!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it! I love how clearly you explained your steps too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy, that got beautiful!! I'm so glad I took that from the work shop before they junked everything. Great job!!!!! :) Nick likes it too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very pretty! Thank you so much for stopping by and visiting me!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the finished product, and you are right, work, and being able to work, is such a blessing!

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is so beautiful! I would never have considered using the bed this way, but it turned out well, and you still have other components for another project later! Your hand skills are great. :)
    -Revi

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW! What an amazing transformation! It's really beautiful!

    Thanks for following my little blog! :)

    Maggie at Sweetwater Baby

    ReplyDelete
  11. That paint marker sure looks NICE!!! Where did you find it? GREAT shelf!! You have such nice stuff!! LOVE the new look of your blog, too! And your button...I'm jealous! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. A wonderful creation. Ingenious use of the items you had on hand. I'm going to have to invest in a Sharpie paint marker--it does a beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hello - I was just awarded the versatile blogger award and since I enjoy your blog so much I wanted to pass one to you

    The rules and button are on my page

    http://lifeondovehollow.blogspot.com/2011/10/versatile-blogger-award.html

    Hope you have fun with it!!

    Susan

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow - you are resourceful!!! Thanks so much for linking up at Trash 2 Treasure Tuesday on the Korner. I absolutely LOVE this!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous! I love the stencil and the wood stained top! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice transformation! Love the part of nailing it to the work bench. I can totally see myself doing that!

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is gorgeous! I can't believe you were able to create this! And I love the words you placed on it. So beautiful. Thanks for sharing this @ Show & Share. I am so happy to have you!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You did an amazing job on your shelf. Love the Bible verse stencilling too!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...