"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Saturday, January 21, 2012

A Felt Rooster For A Friend

I was in search of a birthday present idea for a friend of mine.
I knew I wanted to do a felt stitchery for her, but I wasn't sure what to do.
I was looking on Google Images at Penny Rug ideas, and I came across this picture.

Little House Needle Works
No it was not the Penny Rug, although I really like the Penny Rug.
It was Mr. Rooster that got my attention.

I thought maybe my friend would like a Rooster picture--I knew that she just got a cute chicken for Christmas from her hubby.

So I drew a Rooster on a piece of card stock.


I then cut it out in three pieces.
I am not sure what the thingy is called on the top of the rooster or what that beard like thingy is called, but I knew they would be a different color.

I then traced it on to felt.


Here is what the rooster looked like before I sewed it onto the brown felt background.


I pinned it to the brown felt and I started to sew it on with the blanket stitch.
I used 2 strands of brown floss.


After Mr. Rooster was attached, I wanted to make some little penny rug flowers.


I used 3 strands of green floss for the stems and leaves.

You can see how I traced the picture frame to give me an idea of how much space I had to work with.


I wanted to frame it in this cute little frame I picked up at a yard sale for 10 cents.


I painted it with a coat of AS Old White.
I used clear wax and then aged it with the Jacobean wax.
After buffing it, I was ready to frame Mr. Rooster.

I attached the Stitchery to a sticky board I bought at Joanne Fabrics.
I applied Rubber Cement to some brown paper and the back of the picture board and frame.


Right away I flipped it over on top of the frame before the rubber cement dried.



I finished it with a hanging bracket.

I love the aged white frame.


I also love the blanket stitch.

Happy Birthday, Pumpkin Pie Painter!
I hope you like Mr. Rooster!













Linking Up With:




Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special
Weekend Bloggy Reading


These Peas Taste Funny

19 comments:

  1. I love this! Pinned it. It looks like a great project for a ladies craft day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love Mr. Rooster! You really did a great job! what a nice gift!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! You are so talented! This year you may need to teach me how to sew :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just adorable, it turned out great. Very creative. I love felted wool anyway, so this project is a keeper!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is too cute! I'm sure your friend will love it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Very cute, and I adore roosters! Thanks for joining the copy cat challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very cute little rooster! you did a great job

    ReplyDelete
  8. wonderful ! you are a great and prized friend to have. Your friend will be so happy to receive this very nice gift. great great job on your copy cat post.

    -KAT-

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a darling project...love the colors and details. I am now following you, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, TAMMY!!! I didn't know you came up with this all on your own!!! I thought it was a kit or pattern you got!!! WOW!!! You should make patterns!! I do SOOO love my rooster and have the PERFECT spot for him. I'm painting a basket to go next to him and can't WAIT to do my post about him, too!!!! LOVE it and THANK YOU!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. He's adorable and will definitely make for a nice gift! You did a great job. Enjoy your day, Gail

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cute project! What a nice gift! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. SOOOOO cute! I adore roosters and the blanket stitch. You did such a great job. Thanks for sharing at Link It Up Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  14. wowieee!! What a fantastic idea.. Thanks for linking up at friday fun party.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am featuring this idea tonight.. :) be sure to check out other features, link up and grab your button..
    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is adorable! I have a friend who collects chickens.. she would love this and I'm sure your friend will too. Lovely work!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your work is lovely! I so enjoy making things like this. What a wonderful surprise your friend had.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...