"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Friday, January 13, 2012

A Tip ~n~ A Stitch

WARNING TO ALL PERFECTIONIST:
The stitching contained in this post is NOT perfect.
Viewing some of these pictures may cause anxiety.
Proceed with Caution :)

I was experimenting with a tip that I got from my good friend Pumpkin Pie Painter.
She told me that I could use Anne Sloan's paint as a primer and then use flat, regular paint over that.
She was RIGHT!!!

I painted this frame with a coat of Paris Grey.

I only have two AS color paints--Paris Grey and Old White.  I did not want this frame to be either one of them.  I just wanted it to be black.


So I got out some Wrought Iron Folk Art Paint, and painted over AS Paris Grey.
I only needed one coat of the Wrought Iron.
After it dried completely, I sanded it and put some Fiddes & Son's Jacobean Wax over  it and buffed it up.


I wanted to stitch a verse on muslin to go in the frame.
This is how I do my stitching on muslin.

I first took the 5x7 paper that comes in the frame out and wrote the verse on the back of it to see if it would fit.
I then used that as a template for writing the verse on the muslin fabric.
I did trace around the glass on the fabric to give me a guideline of where the verse would fit.


I began stitching. 
Each of my letters are not perfectly the same, neither are they perfectly straight.
I wanted to highlight some words, so it is stitched with two different colors.


Of course I am one that loves old looking fabric.
So I tea-dyed my final product to give it some age.


It is hard to see the tea stain in the fabric, but I think it turned out just right.



I ironed it and stuck the muslin to some sticky board I bought at Joanne Fabrics.
The frame is aged along with the stitchery.
The two look fantastic together....just the look I was going for.


I am so glad I can use other colors over Anne Sloans.
That really helps to give me some options on some other craft projects


Thanks Pumpkin Pie Painter!


Linking Up With:





















Funky Junk's Sat Nite Special



Photobucket"

12 comments:

  1. Your stitching looks good to me:-) This turned out so cute. Thank you so much for the tip about painting right over ASCP. I'm limited on the colors I have too and never even thought about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks great. Honestly, if you hadn't mentioned imperfections, I wouldn't have noticed. I was looking at it as a whole, and I love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love it! And I don't see anything wrong with your stitching. This is such a nice, vintage appealing piece! Thanks for sharing it! Hope you have a great weekend! Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have absolutely no need to apologize for your stitching...it's wonderful. I love how you used the different colors and the frame is perfect.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful and I see nothing wrong with your beautiful stitching. Love that you used different colors.
    As a side note, I would love this perfect or imperfect! What a wonderful style you have either way!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! I think it looks great. You did a wonderful job. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow what a great project! It turned out great! Thanks for visiting me at simplyhomecents and for your sweet comments. I am following you as well love your blog! Tabitha @ simplyhomecents.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it!!! I use to stitch samplers years ago! I think your stitching is perfect. The color is great. Beautiful.
    Hugs Rosemary...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Silly girl, don't you know that imperfections are what makes them awesome? That being said, I didn't happen to see any. :) Great project and I love how it turned out.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think it's beautiful and, besides, you don't want it to look cookie cutter-ish! Your stitching is lovely, the frame is perfect and the verse is the best!
    (popping over from Knick of Time!)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, Tammy, I think it's FANTASTIC!!! LOVE it and all the great things you stitch!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I really like this. That's a great verse to keep before my eyes. Thank you for teh tip about using Annie Sloan paint as a base - I may use that hint soon.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...