"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Dresser Makeover

I am so excited about this dresser!
It really is amazing to me what a coat of paint and some wax can do.

This is what the dresser looked like.
I was on my way to the grocery store one day, and
I found it out for trash along the side of the road.
What a treasure!
I ran to the front door to make sure it was trash.
The young boys, at the house, helped me load it in the van.
My mom stayed in the alley with my kiddos while I drove it back to my house.

This was a couple of years ago.
It became my youngest son's dresser.
He did not want it and asked if we could swap dressers.


I had plans for this piece when I found out about Annie Sloan's Chalk Paint.
It has such pretty details, but the veneer was really chipping everywhere.




My hubby tried to take it off on the top here and just made it ugly.
I had plans to replace these two warped pieces with one long dresser top.


I found a blog that showed me how to remove veneer.
You can read about it HERE


Now I was ready to paint.

Before I show you more pics of the painted dresser, please take time to meet my new wax brush.
I found an AS's Stockist near my home, and she had these short handled wax brushes for sale.


I LOVE IT!  
I was using a regular paint brush before, but there is something about the way this brush is made that it brushes the wax on easier than the regular paint brush.  
I used less wax than with the regular brush.
It was worth my investment for sure!
I also love the short handle.

Ok....on with the dresser.
I must tell you that I am a Country style sort of gal not a Shabby Chic Gal.
My home is not Shabby Chic, but I was really liking the Duck Egg and Frenchy look on the blogs. 
 I wanted one room in my house to be Frenchy, Cottage.
This dresser was perfect and my bedroom is the perfect, unfinished room to change.

As I was painting this dresser I thought about the imperfections that became apparent on the Oak that was underneath the veneer.  I was so happy that this piece was for me and not someone else because of those imperfections.  
I didn't want to highlight the details with Old White, although I think it would have been beautiful if I did.
It just wasn't me. 
I wanted to highlight the details with the dark wax.
And I did, and I love the way they turned out.
I used Fiddes & Son's clear and dark wax.


This is one of the many holes that were in the drawers underneath the veneer.
It almost looks like a little key hole.


My hubby attached the top two boards with some "L" brackets.


This little area will eventually get a basket put in it when I find the right one,
but you can see how the top is attached in this pic.


I couldn't believe how nice it looks!


Here it is!!



I love it.
I am looking forward to doing more Duck Egg in my room.
Hubby likes it too :)



Linking Up With:

PhotobucketTip Junkie handmade projectsFurniture Feature FridaysFunky Junk's Sat Nite Special Keeping It SimpleIvy and Elephantsshabby creek cottagePhotobucketBeyond The Picket Fence

26 comments:

  1. Tammy, this is SO amazing!!! I love it...what a beautiful blue color! That sure was worth all the hard work you put into it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The top looks amazing... ,it really completes the piece. And... the colour you chose is wonderful, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I can say is great minds think alike!! lol (watch for my Friday blogpost)

    Fabulous!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, with a nice vintage feel to it. It's nice to find such treasures and then change them up to your liking. You and your hubby did a great job! It's also nice that he likes it too. I know, my hubby and I have opposite styles so we don't often like the same furniture. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really didn't think you should paint it, but now that I see what it looks like, I have to agree: it looks sooo much nicer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Tammy, I absolutely love it! What a find. I just got in some Duck Egg can't wait to try it on something. Thanks for stopping by my blog I'm now following you. Have a good one.
    Peggy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful makeover. I love the Duck Egg color too.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was surprised to see you taking off the veneer--scary! But it turned out so beautifully. I do love the new top shelf-and staining it was just the right thing to do. Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy: I found you! DUH! I love what you did with the dresser and will write down your products to look for... especially the brushes. I have something to "wax' but paint brushes put it on too unevenly. You did a beautiful job and don't you just love the cost!!! Will look forward to more posts from you! Now off to follow you!
    }}HUGS}} Joy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Putting the new top on it was genius! What a great way to update that dresser!

    ReplyDelete
  11. you must just love it!! wow...who would throw that beautiful piece of furniture away?!
    I am your newest follower..pls follow back if you can.
    enjoy your day!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful~ thanks for linking up at Feathered Nest Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow, absolutely gorgeous! What a treasure, I can't believe you found it in the trash! Beautiful makeover, that's one of my current favorite colors, well done. I saw this posted at Tip Junkie and loved it, and I'd be happy if you'd come link it up at my *Get Creative* party this week!
    http://www.justalittlecreativity.com/2012/03/get-creative-party-4-and-features.html
    Hope to see you there
    -Molly

    ReplyDelete
  14. I can't believe you found that in the garbage! I woul have snagged it too! Turned out just beautiful!! Thanks for coming by to link it up - please come back to the party this week to link up again!!
    Stacey of Embracing Change

    ReplyDelete
  15. Amazing!! It looks like you picked it up at an antique store! Thanks again for visiting my blog, I love how our posts started the exact same "I am so excited about this {shelf} {dresser}!" Great minds :)

    Jennifer :)
    www.dainty-posies.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. WOW!!! I CAN NOT believe you found this on the side of the road!!! I am SO jealous right now! Pieces like that go for over $300 at my local antique mall!
    I am also stopping by to say thanks SO much for the sweet lil note you left me about my Bathtub. And it is VERY apparent you could so easily conquer a project like that!!!
    XOXO
    Andrea

    ReplyDelete
  17. It looks great. I am always amazed by the courage it takes to paint furniture. (I haven't gotten up that courage yet.) We have always been strippers rather than painters, but I'm getting the urge to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This is just gorgeous! I love how it turned out and Duck Egg Blue is one of my favorite colors. I seriously can't believe you found this on the side of the road! I would have gone in the ditch looking at it...

    Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a GORGEOUS makeover! I want that fab dresser in my house!
    I love the color and that new top that's one piece. I'm your newest follower and am inviting you to share this incredible transformation at our linky party. We'd love to have you!
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very beautiful...love the color! Literal trash to treasure! Followed you back!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I cannot believe you found this piece on the side of the street for the trash. It was pretty before, but gorgeous AFTER you finished your redo. I've just become your most recent follower. Please come visit me at PICKINandPAINTIN.blogspot.com and maybe follow back. THANKS.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh what a beautiful transformation!! I am new to your blog. Glad I found it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Visiting from Transformation Thursday! I love this project! Such a great idea and you are truly talented!

    Thanks for the inspiration.

    blessings,
    karianne

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hi Tammy,
    Just popped in to le you know that your dresser makeover is a feature this week at WIW. We just love it! Come on over and grab a button.
    Hugs,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
  25. That was seriously TRASH?!!! WOW!!!! I absolutely LOVE it's new look!!! Gorgeous!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. Trash...seriously??? Oh to be so lucky! It is gorgeous!

    Deborah

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...