"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Chicken Wire Cloche

My Neighbor gave me these wood hot plates.

As I was looking at a blog party last week, I came across this from Homeroad.


Since I didn't have a neat glass lid to put over these hot plates, I decided to make lids out of chicken wire.  First I painted the wood plates with my Valspar samples--one was a pale yellow the other stone color.


After they were painted and dried, I printed off  2 images from the Graphics Fairy.
Doesn't every crafter just love her blog


I used the charcoal method to transfer the images onto the wood plates.


I then used my Paint Sharpie to paint over the charcoal lines.
After that was dried, I sanded and stained them to look a little distressed.


Now for the "lid"
I guess they are more like a cage.
I made one in the shape of a beehive.
I wanted to try and give you a little tutorial on what I did, and I did the measurements all wrong.
Now I have two different size covers or hives.


I kept the cuttings from the first "hive" to use as a template.


Putting it over my rectangle of chicken wire that I had cut out.
I eyeballed where to cut.


This is what it looked like after both ends were cut.


I then attached the sides together by twisting the ends of chicken wire together.
For the bottom I took a wire and made a circle with it.
I then attached the bottom of the hive to that wire circle.
You can see how I twisted it around the wire in this picture.


I made little handles to go on the top.
 Here they are!




My bird has seen better days.
It usually sits in a wood box on my porch and one day it fell out and lost its tail.
I still like the little fellow.


I like the two different sizes.
It adds a little more character to the pair of them.


I'm not sure if I want to keep these or sell them at my craft sale in the Fall.

Linking Up with:


The Graphics FairyPhotobucket

17 comments:

  1. They are both adorable, but, I like the bird cage one better. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Super cute!! What a great idea!! I've seen these plates without lids as well. What a great way to use them anyhow!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job.
    Love the chicken wire.
    SO cool.
    Blessings
    Trace

    www.grannytracescrapsandsquares.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. You've done a lovely job, they look great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your cloche is beautiful... thanks for the mention!
    Susan
    Homeroad

    ReplyDelete
  6. Followed over from The Graphics Fairy. The wire cloches are very creative. I have worked many time with chicken wire - you really have to have patience! These are very cute and I can see all kinds of vignettes contained within them. Now everyone will be hunting for those cheese boards with no domes!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I just love this! You are so clever! Thanks for the tutorial! I saw you at Kammy's Korner and am happy to be following you via GFC!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Brilliant idea! Your chicken wire cloches are so cute! Visiting you from Kammy's Korner. I'm happy to be following and look forward to seeing more of your delightful blog. Have a great night!
    Sharla

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those chicken wire cloches are just too cute! Thanks for sharing how you made them. I saw your post over at "Trash 2 Treasure" blog party.

    ReplyDelete
  10. cute. thanks for telling all
    blessings
    barb

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so fabulous. I want to try it. Thanks for sharing.Happy to be a follower.

    ReplyDelete
  12. They are adorable! You did such a great job on the trasfering!

    ReplyDelete
  13. These are so wonderful and unique! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. So cute! Love the job you did on the wooden boards!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great job on te wire cloches. They are really nice looking.
    I have been traveling and don't have anything to link up this week. Hope to join in next week. I am putting your button on my sidebar and I followed you through lnky. Follow me through Linky too. You can never know when we might lose GFC.
    xo Ginger

    ReplyDelete
  16. So clever! I love these!! These would go great in my country home!!
    Thanks for sharing!
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...