"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Spice Cabinet Redo

Last year a  friend gave me this lovely older spice cabinet.
I loved the folk art pictures that were all over the front of it.
However the front was pretty damaged.


You can see here how it was messed up a bit.  I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with it --if anything.


The inside has this great Herb and Spice chart label.


For my birthday another friend, Pumpkin Pie Painter, gave me this Textured Stucco mixture to make a 3D stencil.  You can read about how she used it IN THIS POST HERE.  It was a lovely stencil.
I thought that this would be a good thing to cover some of the damage on the front of the cabinet door.

First I painted the whole spice cabinet in Annie Sloans Arles.  I also went to the Graphics Fairy and picked an image to use on the front.  I transferred it using the charcoal method like I did in this post HERE.


I used a stencil that Pumpkin Pie Painter aka Farmers Wyfe also made for me for my birthday.
I applied the stucco paste with a putty knife just slightly thicker than the stencil.
It was so humid that day, so I had a little bit of a problem pulling the stencil up off of the box.  I really thought it was not going to work for me.


But it did.
Here you can see the graphic, the Alres color, and the 3D stencil.
Next I added some AS Old White.  I waxed it with clear and dark wax.


I did not paint over that really neat label on the inside.
It has a lot of neat information on it.


The dark wax really gave this the look I was hoping for.
I love the distressed look.


I also love this little bird.


HOWEVER,
I didn't think it looked complete.
 I let it set overnight to think about what I could do to make it look finished.


It is an Herb and Spice cabinet, so I decided to paint words around the edges.
I had already waxed this thing, and I was scared I would ruin it.


When I transferred the words they looked like this.
I actually thought that looked really neat.
I wanted more black on it though, so I traced over it with my Sharpie Paint Marker.


It looks better in person, but I think it looks complete and like an Herb and Spice Cabinet.


What do you think?
Should I have left it the way it was or is this a good change?

BEFORE:

 

Linking up with:
The Graphics Fairy

9 comments:

  1. I am your newest follower!Thank you for visiting my blog!! I love your blog and can't wait to read more! I love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So pretty! Love the new look!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great way to give an old piece new life. Love it:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like it... I'm glad you decided to redo it... it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks great! I love the way you transformed it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think it looks great how you did it!!

    blessings
    barbara jean

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have one of those cabinets with the glass bottles. Did yours come with them? Thanks to you..I now have ideas on how to make it beautiful and fitting for my kitchen.
    I am now a follower and I am new to blogging.
    Sincerely, Victorine

    ReplyDelete
  8. You know that is my favorite bird from Graphics Fairy and I love it on this cabinet. Came over from G. F. to see it. I thought I was already a Linky follower, but I am now your newest!

    Distressed Donna Down Home

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the Spice Cabinet, your addition was very Beautiful and I also feel it just Enhanced the piece... Great Job!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...