"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Kitchen Island Makeover

I wasn't sure if I wanted to show you my kitchen island or not.
I was a little disappointed in the way the front of the island looks; it seems to be nothing but a huge wall.
I am in the process of figuring out what I want to do with that space, and maybe I will reveal it to you later.
So for now, I will show you what I did so far.
This is what my island looked like last Monday.
It was here when we bought our home 10 years ago.
Someone made it from scratch, and there were four cabinet doors on it.
I asked hubby to cut one off for me, so I had room to move in the kitchen.
That is why the counter top is not finished on the end.
I wanted a different top on it.
I was thinking something like an old farm table.
Like this:
Image from Design Sponge
So.....
Off came the counter top.
I think my ears are still ringing!
This is what we had.
I painted the outside in Annie Sloan's Old White.
The inside was already painted white with a kitchen and bathroom paint; I just stained it to make it look old.
Off to Home Depot to get some wood and trim.
We found some plywood in the loft in our garage.
I can't believe how expensive plywood is!
Good thing I save stuff :)
Hubby cut and nailed the plywood to the island.
Then he cut the trim and nailed it in place.
I then painted the trim in Old White too.
We bought a 10in and two 8 in boards for the top.
Hubby screwed them in and filled the wholes in with wood filler.
The flash picked up his water marks from trying to smooth out the wood filler--it was getting too dried out.
The next day I waxed the island part with Fiddes & Son's clear and dark wax.
I have a reason for using dark wax in the kitchen.
Here it is....
I am trying to hide all those scrapes and dirty finger prints that may mark up the white.
I think I got a little carried away with the dark wax though. :)
The boys and I buffed till our arms resembled Popeye's!
I took scrap pieces of wood to see what color I wanted to stain the counter top.
Dark Walnut won.
It was amazing how that dark walnut just made my Old White with too much dark wax look complete.
I sanded the counter top to make sure it was smooth and then cleaned it off before applying only one coat of Minwax's Dark Walnut stain.
After it dried I applied two coats of Fiddes & Son's clear wax to the counter top.

Here is a look at the inside of one of the drawers.
I love the walnut next to the stained white.

Now for the hardware.
I knew I wanted the pulls that were like the ones on this piece of furniture.
I also knew they could get very pricey!
I was so excited when I went to Home depot and these were on sale for $1.98!
They were the perfect color for me too.
They look great with the dark walnut too!
So here is the
Before:
And this is what my kitchen island looks like now.
I am not going to show you the other side yet.
I am still thinking about what I want to do with it.
We are looking to get new cabinets, and I think I am going to go with this look for the rest of the kitchen.
It will be a very slow process, because we don't want to go into debt to do it.
I will have patience--having to wait really does make you appreciate what you get a little bit more.

Linking up With:
 Furniture Feature Fridays

18 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I love the pulls from Home Depot too! They added just the right touch!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out just beautiful Tammy - why weren't you sure you wanted to show us this!
    It's an incredible makeover!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You did a great job, can't wait to see the rest! Di

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new look, I can't believe how much the island changed. Great price on the hardware. Those run as much as $25 for one. I think the white and dark are a great combination. Perfect!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful makeover!!!Your island looks beautiful! I am changing mine up a bit too.Pure white island is hard to keep clean.Especially when people put there feet on it when sitting at it.
    xx
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. It looks great ! Have you thought about making the other side look like it has doors & drawers ? Or, 3 sets of molding in a frame look ? Perhaps one of your paintings ? Love you

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful Tammy! What a transformation! You did an awesome job!
    I Love the colors you chose and the hardware too!
    Have a great week!

    sandraallen260@centurytel.net

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooooh!!! It looks FABULOUS!!!! REALLY nice, Tammy!! I love the pull too!! Isn't it great when things you love just "happen" to be on sale. :)
    An option for the back could be blackboard paint. Not sure you want that much black in the kitchen, but it's a thought. :)
    Without patience, what would we have?! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. yep, it's just fabulous, tammy!! what a great re-do! love the handles, and i love the chalkboard paint idea for the back, too:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful transformation ~ this is absolutely gorgeous, great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is amazing! I love it! You could add a plank wood on the plain side something like beaded board only wider? I can't wait to see what you do on the other side. Great choice on the stain and paint... it's great! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It looks great. I like the chalkboard paint idea. Another idea is magnetic paint and find some vintage kids magnetic letters. The Twice Remembered Cottage has an island with magnetic paint I think. Your blog design is beautiful by the way.

    Gloria

    ReplyDelete
  13. wow. you did such a great makeover. why don't you try painting and fixing up the old cabinets first? if it doesn't work out you're going to replace them anyway right?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...