"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Sunday, October 28, 2012

I Printed Directly on Fabric Using an Inkjet Printer

Before you read this post, I just want to let you know that this is just something that I was experimenting with, and it worked for me.  I do not claim to be an expert in any of my crafts.  I really do just play around and experiment a lot.  Failures happen, but this one was a success for me.
Beware!!
 There are a lot of photos in this post.

I was making another felt picture and I wanted a verse on this one.
I tried to stitch one on the felt , but it looked awful.
I remembered reading about someone printing on wax paper and ironing it onto fabric.
I tired that, and it didn't work for me.  I think I missed a step in that process.
I thought, why don't I just scotch tape the muslin to the paper and just run it through the printer.
It worked!
I knew that this was going behind glass, so I wasn't even worried if the ink would smear or anything.
I did touch it and it did not smear.
I sewed the piece of muslin onto the felt.
To frame my felt pictures and stitchings, I use this peel and stick mounting board.
I bought the biggest one, and I was able to trace the glass of each frame
and cut out enough pieces of mounting board to frame 5 felt pictures.
All you have to do is peel the paper off the mounting board,
and position your stitching onto the sticky board.
I painted my frames that I bought at a yard sale for 10 cents.
Two I painted with Annie Sloan's Cocoa Chalk Paint
and one in Annie Sloans Arles Chalk Paint.
The frames also got clear and dark wax on them.
For all my pictures I like to cover the backs so that they look like a finished product.
I use craft paper from a roll and rubber cement.
I think the muslin verse looks a little too crowed, but maybe someone will like it.
We'll see.....
How do you print on fabric?

13 comments:

  1. Tammy,
    I used to print on muslin for quilting and did just what you did tape it to a piece of printer paper or iron it to wax paper. Can I purchase the snowman on the right side of the bottom picture (the one with the dark background) My besties house is done in primitives and she would love it. It would be a Christmas gift for her. I just love them all you are too talented girl!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just stumbled on your blog. But had to comment. Those are just adorable. I like the muslin printed one just as much as the snowmen.Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How neat! I don't know if I am brave enough to try it, have to think on it. Thanks for the advice about the board also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy, I have never printed anything on fabric but I think you have done an excellent job. Those are so cute..Happy Monday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those are winners! Did you try it with an inkjet printer or a laser? I'm brave enough to try it, but I don't want to see the look on my husband's face when something goes wrong with his printer :-) :-).

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  6. You have some pretty nifty ideas! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. OHHH, Tammy I love them! Do you have time to make 100 of them as they will sell, sell, sell !

    ReplyDelete
  8. That is wonderful! I don't think it would work with my printer, which takes the paper, turns it upside down, and prints. I can just see it jamming up in the printer. YIKES. I think my old Lexmark would have done this. Hmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great idea, Tammy, but I am wondering like Cranberry above, does your printer turn the paper upside down when it prints? In other words do you place the muslin side down in the tray for it to feed through the printer? This would be a real cost-saver for me as I use expensive transfer iron-on paper for my cloth projects.

    One more suggestion: Please sign the backs of these, and maybe if you have time a short, favorite scripture.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Nicely done. I wish you can post pictures of this? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Tammy, I know it is two months past the time you posted this, but I just now had the chance to print on muslin by taping it to some paper. Excellent result! Now I have to finish the art piece and get it turned in. I will post results in January. Thanks for the help.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am going to try this too! thanks for experimenting. Little Bit from www.DecorateWithaLittleBit.com p.s. I'm going to pin your tute to refer back to!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. almost a year later...cut a piece of freezer paper to the size that you desire to feed into your printer (8.5" x 11" is standard size), iron freezer paper (glossy side down) onto a piece of muslin, cut muslin to fit. Muslin side down (for my printer) place in paper tray. Whatever you are printing on computer, print, will print on muslin. Peel freezer paper off...TAH DAH!!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...