"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Wednesday, October 17, 2012

My Milk Paint Test

This past weekend we went to Landis Valley's Harvest Days in Lancaster,Pa.
I bought some Milk Paint that they had in their gift shop.
There wasn't a great selection in colors, so I chose Union Blue; I thought I could work with that color.

Now I have never used Milk Paint before.  
I have been reading about the distressed look that Milk Paint gives to furniture. 
I love the images that I have seen, 
and I really wanted to try some.

This is how Milk Paint comes.
Just like with my first can of chalk paint, I wanted to test it out on something small.
I chose this little wood box that I got for free at a yard sale this summer.
It has a shiny surface.  I wanted to see how well this paint would grab the surface.
I did not buy the bonding agent for Milk Paint, because I really wanted it to look distressed.
I mixed it like the directions say: 1 part Milk Paint to 1 part water and then I mixed  it with a stick.
It says to let it set for 20 minutes.
After the 20 minutes I painted one coat on the wood box.  
This is what it looked like wet.
After it dried it looked lighter and had a very chalky feeling.
It really stuck to the shiny wood.
Then I went to brush clear wax on it for a finish.
Scary!
It looked like I brushed all of the paint off of the box, but have no fear the blue came back.
It did wipe some off, but I think that gave it that naturally distressed look.
Here it is with clear wax and buffed.
I did NOT sand.
This is awesome!!!
I love it.
SO PRIMITIVE!!!
Milk Paint is a keeper for me!
I dressed it up with some leather handles.
Do you like it?
If you do, make sure you come by my Rustic Restorations Weekend Linky Party
this weekend for a Giveaway!!!
Guess what it includes? :)

10 comments:

  1. I like the look, I have never tried it before, may have to get me some:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tammy, did you use regular milk paint or Miss Mustard Seed's. Just wondering. Your project looks great. I love anything distressed. Gives it a lot of character.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great! I was about to order some Tung Oil from the Real Milk Paint Co- glad to see their products are good to work with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy, it is just perfect. I was so happy to see that you used the milk paint. I went to a little shop here in town for some AS wax and she carries the milk paint and I am thinking about it so glad you showed this. I love the primitive look and many years ago that was how I decorated, but I got side tracked with the traditional-Victorian and got rid of a lot of things. I still get a magazine that showcases the primitive and I am seriously thinking about going that way again. I'll be over to party this weekend..Happy Wednesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  5. What happens if the furniture gets wet after the painting and sealing?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Lovvvvve this, Tammy! So this is what they mean about the paint "distressing itself". Soooo cool! And alot less work! lol! I just ordered three colors and now am very anxious to try it out! Thanks for the tut! :)

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  7. It has been decades since I last used milk paint (1980's). I remember loving it then, but I love primitives at any time! Your box turned out great - I especially love the leather handles.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way it turned out. I've been putting off trying milk paint but I think I'll have to have a go! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...