"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Sunday, November 18, 2012

Cradle Painted with Milk Paint

My cousin gave me this cradle.
I know this is not a good picture, but it is the only before pic that I got.
Ahhh!  A blank slate.
I thought, I definitely want to use my milk paint on it. 
 I was picturing it looking like one of those old cradles in historic cabins or homes.
I painted one coat of milk paint.
I thought it since it was wood I could just stain over it, and the wood would just soak in the stain. 
The wood soaked it in alright, the dark walnut stain turned it black.
I couldn't even see the milk paint.
SOOOO.....
I painted another coat of milk paint over the stain.
Okay, I am getting closer to the look I want.
I remembered how clear wax seems to darken the chalk paint.
I put a coat of clear wax over the second coat of milk paint.
This is before I buffed it; you can see some blob of clear wax on it.
I buffed it.
And that did it!
That is the look what I wanted.
I added a leather handle by cutting a piece off of my leather belt.
Here it is!
What do you think?  
Can you see it setting next to an old rope bed? :)

Linking up with:


9 comments:

  1. Wow! I really like this one, it's perfect!

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tammy, I really am loving the milk paint projects that you have done. The cradle looks right out of the 18 century. Is that the right era?!! Anyway, I have never seen your house, so am going to take the time to go back into your archives to see if I can find it. I hope you will do a tour at Christmas..Hope you and your family have a blessed Thanksgiving..Happy Sunday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it, especially the leather handle. I can see it next to a big walk in fireplace, with a pot of stew simmering in it, with the baby in the cradle. You got the perfect look:) And for free!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, Tammy. I love it and picture it with some straw and a Baby Jesus in it, but then I am obsessed with Baby Jesus's this time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it!! Absolutely beautiful!!! It needs an old patched quilt in it! You did great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Perfectly prim! I love all your work.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely gorgeous Tammy! This project is perfection!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...