"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Sunday, December 9, 2012

Primitive Stockings for the Kiddos

I have always wanted to make some primitive looking stockings for my kiddos.
Every year I had good intentions, but I never made them.
I decided to buy some knit stockings.
I tea-dyed them and stitched the their names on them.
I liked the stockings, however they did not have a lining.
When it came time to filling the stockings, everything would get caught in all of the yarn.
What a Pain!
Last year I made a pattern, but didn't make the stockings.
This was the year I was going to do them!
I am sew so glad that I wrote instructions on my pattern.
These stockings are meant to put stuff in them, and a skinny stocking isn't worth using.
I bought a yard of linen at Wal-mart for $2.97.
I was able to fit 4 stockings on one yard--YAY!
I had a little bit of this fury type of material left from making my star snowmen.
I thought it perfect for trimming my stockings!
I got out all the necessities and was ready to cut.
I cut the trim 3 in. thick.
So...
because I made up the pattern, I had to make up how I was going to put this all together.
I sewed the right side of the trim to the wrong side of the linen
along the top edge of each side of the stocking.
I then flipped it over so that the right side of the trim would be on the right side of the fabric.
Confused yet? =)
I pressed it not worrying what the heat was doing to my fur trim.
You see it is Primitive, and I am about to destroy all daintiness of this stocking anyway.
Now I pinned the right sides of my stocking together.
I sewed on my pencil line,
(in some areas near the trim I went a little on the inside on the pencil line)
 clipped the curves,
and turned the stocking.
Okay, I am about to ruin transform this crisp stocking into an aged stocking using some coffee and tea bags.
I boiled some water and threw in some cheap instant coffee and two tea bags.
I soaked all four stockings overnight.
TA-DA!
Here they are drying in my kitchen.
My poor kiddos.  
They will have memories of having to dodge all of mom's tea-dyed, coffee-stained fabrics in the kitchen while wrestling their way back to their school work at the kitchen table.
I wanted their names to be on tags.
Each kiddo picked their own font for their name.
Each font definitely matches their personality.
I copied the names from the computer onto some Kraft paper.
I then traced an old tag pattern around the name.
Yes, these tags did not escape a quick dunk into some coffee for some aging effect.
After they were dry, I took some ink and sponged some brown on the edges for a darker look.
To attach the tags,
I cut strips of cheese cloth that I had baptized in some coffee too.
=)
With a little twine...
some rustic bells
and a rustic star


My primitive stockings are complete!
I hope you enjoyed this little bit of my Homespun Christmas!

Linking up With:
Christmas Decorating on a Budget

8 comments:

  1. Hi Tammy. I love them and I bet your house smells good too!..Happy Sunday.Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are wonderful! If I was going to make stockings I'd definitely be doing them your way! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are gorgeous! If I was ever to make stockings I'd do them your way. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Tammy!
    This is silverfeather's daughter, Angie :) I absolutely love these stockings!!!! Very primitive! Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What treasures you have made Tammy! I love how they look primitive!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Tammy, they are just darling. My bestie would love them (are you tired of hearing that yet). Thanks for linking up")

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...