"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Monday, January 7, 2013

An Introduction to My Kitchen Makeover

Now, I can only dream of a total kitchen makeover.
We just don't have the money to spend on all new cabinets, new flooring, a different layout and all the updated appliances.
I am still hoping for a new stove and fridge someday--both which will not be the latest and greatest, just new to me :)
I knew that I could paint and maybe just replace some base cabinets and counter top.
So that is the plan.
Back in August, I refurbished my kitchen island.
It went from this:
to this:

I knew that I wanted to repaint my kitchen using Annie Soan's Old White and Coco.  I decided to paint the cabinets in Old White and do all the burgundy wood work in Coco.
I tore down the berry border and trim on the wall.
We decided to keep the paneling that is up, because we were afraid that tearing that down may involve possible problems with the plaster and more $$$$$
I painted the walls with the left over Sandstone color we used in the living room.  It is funny how different it looks in the kitchen with all the natural light from all the windows.
We still need to paint and hang the new trim that goes on the wall.
Here the wood work is painted in Coco, but with no wax.
Too plain for me. 
Here is the trim with clear and Jacobean wax.
Love it!  
PERFECT!
I love the old feel that the wax brings out in the layered paint.
Here is the whole door waxed.
As you can see, I am doing one wall at a time because of all the waxing and buffing involved.
Not to mention this is our school room too :)
I will update you on my progress as I go.
This is probably the biggest project on my list for the new year.
My craft room looks really scary right now.
I really need to get that organized some day!

linking up with:


Creative Cain Cabin

16 comments:

  1. I miss seeing you Tammy! Love the colors! Your houSe is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our society is so focused on instant gratification. I think you and your family will appreciate it much more to watch your kitchen gradually evolve. And your children are learning by example.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks amazing, who,would have thought the island could look so great!!! I have never used the wax ou where talking about, but WOW do I love the effect.
    Tammy
    threesmallfryprimitives.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great start on the kitchen makeover! I'll be following along as tackle the projects.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Tammy. I love the color you have chosen and I really love the trim after more wax. I'm with you about being too plain. Everyone says to go very sparingly on the wax, just a little goes a long ways. When I do I'm not happy with the outcome so I pile on more, lots more!. If you can't get the distressed look than why bother?..Anxious to see more..Happy Monday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the lighter look. It makes the kitchen look bigger. This is a good project for you, your closer to the coffee pot :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the look. it makes the kitchen look bigger. this is a good project for you, your closer to the coffee pot :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it! could you post a link to the exact brands/colors you used. when I googled Jacobean all I found was a very dark color. your wax made the coco color lighter.
    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy, wow what a lot of work you have done. All that waxing is a job. Love your door color now and the trim around the door. Great architectural piece. I agree keep the paneling, it reminds me of beadboard and I think it needs to stay. Your island turned out amazing. Its so nice to see a redo without breaking the bank. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love the new look. I have to update my kitchen, especially cabinets. They are the builder's original since (dare I say it) 1972...horrors! Maybe this year...or next! I do have new refrigerator and oven so that expense is over at least.
    Cannot wait to see your completed project!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love what you did. It took talent and alot of elbow grease. Can't wait to see the finished product!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the way your door turned out. I have thought about painting my doors with Annie Sloan paint, but I'm not sure ... Your doors have lots of nooks and crannies, and that goes well with chalk paint and antique wax. My doors are 'one big flat surface'.

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tammy, lot of work you've done and it looks amazing. Small steps and time makes a difference. I'm sure the finish will be lovely.

    Warmest Regards,
    Loretta

    Blog: http://shespoketome.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. It looks great! I can't wait to see it when it's done!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lookin' good!!! Can't wait to see it all done!!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oops, that's supposed to be the Farmer's Wyfe. Obviously, the Farmer has been on here last. : )

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...