"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Saturday, February 2, 2013

Taking a Cheap Clock and Giving it a Facelift

I told you that I was trying not to spend more money than necessary while giving my kitchen a little remodel. As I changed my kitchen from burgundy to Cocoa and Old white, I knew that my kitchen clock was not going to match my kitchen anymore.  The clock was cheap, but it still worked so why not just paint it and make it a clock face that I would have wanted to buy.
I took the clock apart piece by piece.
I painted the face the sandstone color that I painted the kitchen walls, 
and I painted the outside of the clock in Annie Sloan's Coco.
I popped over to the Graphics Fairy to find a clock face that I wanted.
I couldn't print it off on a big enough paper to mod podge it over the other clock face, so I decided to use the charcoal pencil method to transfer my clock image.
I cut the clock out.
I knew I was going to have to cut a hole in the center of the circle, 
so I did these simple steps to find the center without using algebra and a ruler.
I colored on the back over the numbers with a charcoal pencil.
I placed it on the clock making sure that the Roman Numeral XII was at the right place to hang correctly on the wall.  Before tracing over the letters, I made sure to tape the paper in place.
I just drew the lines freehand that are above the Roman Numerals.
Using my Sharpie paint marker I colored it all in black.
I didn't connect all the lines so that it looked a little worn.
I then stained the inside with Minwax's dark walnut stain. With a soft rag I wiped the stain off using a circular motion.  However, I made sure not to wipe all the stain off so it gave it that old TIME look.  
Since the outside of the clock is plastic, I decided to apply the clear and dark wax with a soft rag.  This worked perfectly.  The bristles on my brush would have chipped away at the paint like it did on my Garbage Can when I waxed it.  (By the way, the paint is holding up with no problem on the garbage can.  Some of my readers were concerned about washing the garbage can off.  The wax is what protects the paint.)
It made it look like an old wooden clock.
Before:
After:
Loving it!!!
Unfortunately when I hung it up on the wall it fell and the plastic edge chipped, so the old glue gun fixed that problem.  I am just glad it isn't an expensive clock :)

Linking up with:

The Graphics FairyOld Red Barn

13 comments:

  1. SUCH a neat idea! I have one hanging in the basement that I look at all of the time and think it looks cheap. I'm going to do this!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so talented. I love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your new look and very clever using what you had.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea and really well done! pinning

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks fantastic! I would love you to share it at my new link party - Silver Pennies Sundays: http://www.findingsilverpennies.com/2013/02/silver-pennies-sundays-link-party-and.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you could fix it when it fell. :) You did a beautiful job on it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very cleaver Tammy! Nice Job, Dee from My Painted Stuff

    ReplyDelete
  8. This turned out so great! I love when you can re-use what you have and make it perfect for what you need! Wonderful project! Thanks for the charcoal pencil tip!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay! I'm so glad you stopped by to share it. I love this clock!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really nice! Isn't ASCP worth every penny!!! You are really making progress!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really a nice job! What a difference. Pascale

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a great job! And a good and detailed tutorial! Hope to see you again at Crafty Country Cottage.

    Goedele

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...