"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Friday, February 17, 2017

Primitive? Farmhouse? Shabby Chic?

Be Yourself!  
Don't worry about what others think!  
I think I have said these very words to my kiddos as they faced the many peer pressures of life.
Now that we moved, I find that my painting and creativity over the past 6 months have been basically for our home not for a sale.  I had to reevaluate my thinking when it came to buying or painting things to fix up for our home.  It is hard to not go with what is popular and to just decorate my home with what I enjoy being around.  I enjoy the colonial, primitive look.  I love the Farmhouse and Shabby Chic style, but I find that I like living with warm, dark colors...not all whites and grays.  I tried lighter furniture and things, only to come to the conclusion that it just gets so dirty too fast.  So unless I live in a museum with a 'Please Do Not Touch' kind of life, it is just impossible for me to live.
I say all of that because I have been able to get two really good deals on primitive chandeliers because that look is not as popular anymore.  I bought this 6 armed Chandelier on Craigslist for $25.  I was able to paint it and make it fit into my decor.
After finishing my kitchen, I was on the hunt for a smaller chandelier to use over my sink.  I priced them at $250-$300.  I knew that was too much, so on to Craigslist I searched.  It took patience and time, but I finally found this one for $10!
 I couldn't believe it!  From the photo, I thought the chandelier was metal, but it is wood.
I wanted to add a pop of color to my Linen Kitchen that I just painted.
Barnyard red and Walnut stain was perfect!
 I was going to hang this where the previous owners had put a recessed light fixture.  The hole was way too big for the crinkled tin plate cover it came with.  I found this tin pie plate at a yard sale for 50 cents.  I knew it would be perfect.  So hubby helped me drill a hole into the center of the plate.
 It covered the big opening perfectly.
Hubby also put a dimmer switch in for me too.
 I absolutely love the pop of color. 
 The chandelier adds a very cozy look to my kitchen window. 
 The faux greens and light help take the place of having a curtain.

2 comments:

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.