"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Tuesday, November 5, 2013

My First Attempt at Homemade Chalk Paint

So I finally tried to make my own chalk paint.  I went over to DesignDreams by Anne and used her chalk paint recipe.  However, after I had already mixed it, I found out she wasn't satisfied with her mixture.  I on the otherhand must have done something right, because my paint turned out perfect and stuck to the shelf like I had hoped.  I only used my homemade chalk paint for a black base coat on this shelf.  
I used my Union Blue Milk paint for a top coat.
In the bottom right pic you can see how the Milk Paint lightens up in color as it dries.
Here is the shelf before I waxed it with clear and dark wax.
I put a verse on the shelf using the Charcoal Method.
Finally I waxed it with clear and dark wax.  I love how rich and deep the blue looks with the wax.  I had a hard time photographing the shelf, but I was able to capture the true color in two shots below.
As far as making my own chalk paint, I think I like Annie Sloans better :)  I do like the fact that I can make my own chalk paint--it was just a little lumpy.

This is another piece that will be sold at my sale.

6 comments:

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.