"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Sunday, August 21, 2016

My New Primitive Hutch! Project #1

Finally, we are moved into our new home!
We have been painting and fixing and painting some more.  The first thing I had to do was paint my kitchen cabinets.  I will need to post about them another time though.  Hubby was painting the living room and dining room while I worked on the cabinets.  I did not want to unpack anything unless the place that the item was going to be stored was painted and ready to accommodate them.  So in between cabinets and wall painting, I decided to work on my hutch. 
I bought this pine hutch at a consignment shop.  It is not old and was not primitive enough for me. The person that built it did not sand the edges.  Every edge was sharp and perfect.  I don't necessarily like perfect in my decor :)  The doors are also too country looking and not primitive.  I needed to change that too.
 The first thing I did was to take off the doors and tear off the "T" shape center piece.  In doing so, I gouged the top frame....oops...but wait, that will make it look more rustic and used.
 I had a white shelf top that I used as my new door frame.
Here it is sanded down and ready to take in some stain.
 I painted the hutch (right over the sanded red paint) in Benjamin Moore's Carter Gray.  I absolutely love that color!  You will see more of that color in my future projects.  I just added a layer of Walnut stain over that counter top, but other than that the stained part of the hutch stayed the same.  You can also see in the top right photo that I did not paint all the way to the edge of the center frame board.  This gives it that worn and aged look without sanding.
I finished it with Minwax's Dark Walnut (my favorite).
As you see, I made two new doors that go all the way to the bottom edge of the hutch frame.  To me this looks more primitive.  I also changed the hardware and painted and stained them too.
Here is a before and after.
What do you think?
It feels so good to be doing projects again!
Happy Sunday to you all!

Linking up with:

6 comments:

  1. it feels good to us to have you doing projects again too. Enjoy your new home... and all that goes with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to see it in person. You are so gifted !

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did the basket you have sitting beside it come from?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great job ... love the change of the doors.
    Audrey Z.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The cabinet turned out gorgeous! Thanks for sharing at Vintage Charm. Hope to see you there again tomorrow morning! xoKathleen Charm Bracelet Diva {At Home}

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.