It has been a little over a month since we did anything to the kitchen.
So far I repainted the cabinets and redid the island. I had to wait on the next step of putting in new cabinets. Our goal was to try and give our kitchen a face-lift without breaking the budget. So the cabinets that we were replacing were really out of necessity. We just bought the unfinished cabinets from Lowe's.
The old sink base cabinet was so gross!! It had years of mildew and I don't know what in it. The cabinet next to it was of little use as far as storage. That top "drawer" is actually just a face--no drawer because the owners before had put in a 33" sink in a 30" sink base cabinet. They had cut into that drawer area in the side cabinet.
We also just went with a laminate counter top they carried in the store. The sales guy recommended putting a couple of coats of Polyurethane on the underside of the counter top to guard it from moisture, so that is what I did..
So the day finally came to rip everything out. Our friend was doing the work, and he allowed my boys to help. I am always so thankful for an opportunity for my boys to be boys and work alongside some good godly men on work projects.
The cabinet above the stove had to be modified for the microwave, so the oldest got to help cut that out.
I got to help redo the face on the cabinet door. Since the decorative line got cut off I had to cut a new decorative line and sand away the old line along the bottom sides of each door.
I used his Dremel to cut the new line. I loved using that tool. This clamp 'n tool guide made it so much easier to cut a straight line too.
The doors still need more sanding before I paint them and wax them again.
I will be able to share with you the finished kitchen very soon!