"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Repurposing a Frame

This past weekend we stopped at this local barn sale.  These people always have neat stuff for sale and not expensive.  I wasn't really looking for anything special, but I had a project that I wanted to do with a picture frame and pallet wood.  This frame was 50 cents, so I thought I would use it for my little experiment.
My friend gave me her old Country Sampler magazines.  I haven't gotten past the cover of the first one I picked up.  On the cover, I noticed someone had made a sign with wood and a picture frame.  I knew I had to try this one.  Their frame was lovelier than mine, but I wasn't sure how well this was going to go.  I went out to get some scraps of pallet wood and a piece of pine.
I glued them together and actually just placed them inside the frame since it was a snug fit.  To secure the glued pieces into the frame, I put some wood glue around the edges.
Don't ask me why I have rubber bands around my glue bottle--it's a boy thing.
This is what it looked like before I painted it.
I painted it in some AS French Linen.
I didn't completely paint to the edges, because I wanted the stain to grab the wood to give it a rustic feel.  Using the charcoal method and my paint Sharpie I did the lettering.
Here is a closeup of the completed project.
I love stain!
I think I will be making more of these in the future for sure!
I definitely have more frames :)


8 comments:

  1. Love this Tammy!
    What a wonderful idea.
    I think you did a wonderful job.
    Have a Happy 4 th of July!

    Sandi

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is a fantastic sign. love it to death and will try it myself. thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now that's darling! The words could be all sorts of things too - not that you didn't already know that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How about "1776" with a flag background ? Love the look. Happy 4th to you & family thanks to our founding fathers

    ReplyDelete
  5. Soooo cute, Tammy! I love the way the distressing turned out!! Hope you had a fabulous 4th!!!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a nice sign. This is such a great idea. A bigger frame could even make a tray!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a neat idea for an old frame!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.