"EXCEPT THE LORD BUILD THE HOUSE, THEY LABOR IN VAIN THAT BUILD IT"......Ps.127:1a

Monday, October 9, 2017

Roadside Find (with a mystery) Makeover: Dovetail Blanket Chest

  I have been looking at these blanket chests in antique stores, not really caring to buy one.  I really didn't need another chest, but I loved the dovetails, key hole, and candle box inside.  
Free with a little bit of work was just the right price for me.  
What a neat roadside find!
There is an interesting mystery to me behind this little blanket chest find.

The first owners of our home were the Heiseys.
I found this chest at the other end of our small town.  When I opened the lid, there were two names written in child-like cursive writing, Dorothy and Beatrice Heisey.  I was curious to find out whether these two girls were related to the first owners of our home.  I believe they were from a Mennonite background, so I was actually able to match who I believe is the first owner of our home with two sisters named Dorothy and Beatrice.  Am I positive? no...but it is neat to think that the guy's sisters' hope chest is in a home that he once owned.
Here it is the day I picked it up.  Stained and broken, hubby was not very enthused.
I am not sure how old it is.
It was painted with a wood graining technique.
The wood that chipped off of the chest's lid where the hinges are was still in the trunk. 
 I had high hopes that I could fix this and actually use it.
I glued the wood pieces back on the lid and
 sanded it down to the natural poplar wood. 
It was beautiful just sanded.
I left the writing on the inside lid, but I don't think you can see it in the picture.

I used Annie Sloans' Dark wax to finish it.
It turned turned out beautiful, and the lid seems pretty solid.




4 comments:

  1. what a fun and special find. Love how you 'redo' stuff... always done to perfection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have the best of luck finding things! That's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fran believes it really is the real thing & belonged to the owner of your house

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your thoughts! I really enjoy hearing from my readers. If you ask a question, I will try to reply A.S.A.P.